Benjamin Franklin wrote in his autobiography that each morning he would ask himself this question:
"What good shall I do this day?"
He even noted that upon waking, he would:
"Rise, wash, and address Powerfull Goodness!"
(Note: The italics on those two words are his emphasis.)
Furthermore, he would conclude his evening with this question:
"What good have I done to-day?"
Starting the day with goodness as your guide is powerful. It helps you focus on your most important core value, and it can motivate you. And concluding the day with a "How did I do?" can help you reflect on your actions, learn what to do better, and turn acts of goodness into habits.
You can use Franklin's two questions exactly as he crafted them when you rise up and before you lie down as you LRN LAF LUV LIV for LYF. Goodness–the foundational core value in the Philosophy for LYF–is front and center in both questions.
Here are a few other suggestions you can use to keep you focused, motivated, and reflective on your life's mission of growing true wealth and giving true worth.
- State the philosophy's credo of "LRN LAF LUV LIV for LYF" each morning when you wake up. Remind yourself of the meaning of each deed of goodness and the importance of doing them inward toward self and outward toward others. And when you retire each day, reflect on how you did each deed of goodness inward and outward and how you can do better tomorrow.
- Use "LRN LAF LUV LIV for LYF" as a mantra when you meditate or as words for grounding as you contemplate, reflect, and relax.
- Say to yourself the following Daily Declaration for LYF when you start the day.
Daily Declaration for LYF
With goodness my guide
I'll grow my true wealth
and give my true worth,
to elevate my life
and help others raise theirs.
With goodness my guide
I'll LRN LAF LUV LIV
both inward to self
and outward to all
today and for LYF.
- If you are a visual learner, look at the Philosophy for LYF diagram when you wake up to remind you of your life's mission, vision, strategy, and core values. Post the diagram in various places so you can look at the diagram throughout the day.
- Use the templates provided in the eight-week path to your better life. Each of the templates provides guidance to keep you focused on one or more of the key concepts in LRN LAF LUV LIV for LYF.
Leave a Reply